1.Chena (elephant yam)-1cup(cubed)
2.Black chickpeas(soaked overnight)-1/2cup
Dry red chilly-2
- Pressure cook chickpeas with 1 cup water and salt
- To this add cubed yam ,banana,turmeric powder,pepper powder,jaggery and salt.Add water if needed.cook it again for 2 whistles.
- Grind together coconut and cumin seeds to a smooth paste with little water.
- Pour coconut mixture into the curry.Adjust salt and cook till the required consistency is reached.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and urad dal.Fry chopped pearl onion,dry red chilly and curry leaves.Add 1/3cup shredded coconut and roast it until brown color.Add this over the koottu curry and mix well.
- Serve with rice.