FOR BIRIYANI MASALA
Green chilly -4
Ginger -1 inch piece
Turmeric powder -½tsp
Pepper powder -1tsp
Cashew nuts -a handful(making a fine paste)
Limejuice - 1tsp
Coriander leaves -a handful (chopped)
Mint leaves - a handful (chopped)
Curry leaves - a handful (chopped
Garam masala -1tsp cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg
, star anise , bay leaf, mace)
Basmati rice -2cups soak the rice in water at least 30minutes
Bay leaf -1
Lemon juice -1tsp
Salt -to taste
Saffron -a pinch dissolved in 2tsp milk
Finely sliced onions -1
Cashew nuts - a handful
Raisins - a handful
- Clean the mutton and cut in to medium sized pieces.
- The mutton is marinated with ginger- garlic- green chilly –paste ,curd ,turmeric powder ,fennel powder ,cashew paste ,lemonjuice &salt for an hour
- Heat half portion of butter or ghee in a heavy bottom pan. fry the garnished portion of onion ,cashew nuts &raisins
- Heat up the remaining butter and add sliced onions, it becomes translucent add chopped tomatoes ,marinated mutton ,garam masala, Coriander leaves , Mint leaves & Curry leaves
- Pressure cook it for one whistle then simmer for 15 minutes to concentrate the gravy
Preparation of rice
- Add remaining butter and fry all spices and add drained rice and fry for 5minutes.Add 2 cups of water, lemon juice and salt.Cook till all the water is absorbed. Finally the saffron milk is sprinkled over the rice.
- Pre-heat the oven in 200 degrees.
- In an oven proof dish ,spread half the masala and place half of the rice over it. spread the remaining masala and top with the rice.
Pour 2tbs of ghee on the top of it and sprinkle fried onions ,cashew nuts and raisins
Close the dish and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes
Serve with salad